EASY WAYS TO GROW YOUR CAKE BUSINESS*

Image result for picture of a cake baker



1.    Friend request your clients on Facebook and tag them when you post their cakes.
This is probably the biggest way to grow your customer base.  When you post the cake pics from your business page (watermarked with your business name) and tag your clients, their family and friends would immediately know who made their cake and you almost will gain at least one or two new inquiries for every new cake you post!

2.    Take beautiful Cake photos and share them online
I wasn’t even planning to have a cake business when I shared my first few cakes on Facebook.  Without even trying I immediately started gaining customers simply by posting pics on my personal Facebook page.
One big key?  Beautiful pictures.  If your pictures are dark, blurry, have distracting backgrounds (no cluttered counters or dirty dishes please), then that will not appeal to new clients.  But if they're bright, clean and pretty people will be drawn to them!

3.    Get great business cards, stickers or flyers and include them when you send out orders.*   Included 3-5 business card on or in the boxes of every order you send out.  That way if guests at the party or wedding asked who did the cake, my client could not only tell them, but hand them a card!  I can’t tell you how many times I gained new clients this way.
Get cards, stickers or flyers designed for your cake business. It really works
 
4.    Start your own website.
While social media is fantastic nothing can replace having your own website where customers can look at your portfolio, make order inquiries, see your prices and menu, etc.
You could even build an entirely separate stream of income with blogging, but if that’s not your thing, having a simple, beautiful website with basic information and photos is greatly beneficial.
Though this is optional for starters. You can stick to Facebook and Instagram for starters.

5.    Network with other local businesses in the same niche
I have befriended a caterer who recommends my cakes. When her customers book a party or catering job with her and needs a cake, she calls me! I had no idea she would do this when we initially became friends, but it’s great that she does! I also have contacts with photographers, wedding planners, and restaurant owners.
We recommend each other for services when our clients make inquiries and it’s beneficial for everybody!

Note: I didn't begin relationships with any of these people simply to gain an edge in my business.  I recommended them because I genuinely like their work and the friendships and mutual promotion followed. 

Being authentic and putting people first is key!!

Comments